It is an offence to own most firearms, shot guns or explosives
without a certificate but you can apply for one here if you live
within the area covered by Essex Police.
Your application will be dealt with by our Firearms, Shot Guns
and Explosives Licensing Section.
There are four stages:
- Decide which certificate you need using the descriptions
- Complete the relevant form and return it to us.
- We will make local and national checks using
Home Office guidelines
- A firearms enquiry officer will visit you
There are 2 ways to complete the forms. You can:
- Print and complete by hand
- Request a form to be posted to you
To find out how much your application will cost download our fee
Which form do I need?
Firearms and Shotguns
Lets you apply for a firearm or shotgun certificate or renew / make
changes to an existing one.
Download form 201
Use this form to make any
variation to an existing certificate.
This is the guidance notes for
the application and variation process.
Lets you apply or an explosives certificate or renew an existing