It is an offence to own most firearms, shot guns or explosives
without a certificate but you can apply for one here if you live
within the area covered by Essex Police.
Your application will be dealt with by our Firearms, Shot Guns
and Explosives Licensing Section.
There are four stages:
- Decide which certificate you need using the descriptions
- Complete the relevant form and return it to us.
- We will make local and national checks using
Home Office guidelines
- A firearms enquiry officer will visit you
There are 3 ways to complete the forms. You can:
- Print and complete by hand
- Complete on screen then print and sign
- Request a form to be posted to you
- Complete, send to us by post and pay
for your certificate using our electronic interactive forms. Please
note this option is only available for firearm and shot gun
Forms should be
printed using the blue print buttons on this page.
Which form do I need?
Lets you apply for a firearm certificate or renew / make changes to
an existing one.
Download form 101
Firearms form 101
Accompanies form 101 and should be completed by two referees who
can comment on your suitability to own a firearm.
Download form 125
Lets you apply for a shot gun certificate or renew an existing
Download form 103
Firearms form 103
Lets you apply or an explosives certificate or renew an existing
To find out how much your application will cost download our fee guide.