Essex Police
Sitemap | Social Media | Other languages
Non Emergency Enquiries 101

Application Forms

PLEASE NOTE – the application process for New Grant Applications is currently taking around 16 weeks due to high volume of applications received, however we are working hard to decrease this process time.

It is an offence to own most firearms, shot guns or explosives without a certificate but you can apply for one here if you live within the area covered by Essex Police.

Your application will be dealt with by our Firearms, Shot Guns and Explosives Licensing Section.

There are four stages:

  • Decide which certificate you need using the descriptions below.
  • Complete the relevant form and return it to us.
  • We will make local and national checks using Home Office guidelines
  • A firearms enquiry officer will visit you

There are 2 ways to complete the forms. You can:

  • Print and complete by hand
  • Request a form to be posted to you

To find out how much your application will cost download our fee guide. 

Which form do I need?

Firearms and Shotguns

Form 201
Use this form to apply for a firearm or shotgun certificate or renew / make changes to an existing one.
Download form 201


Form 202
Use this form to make any variation to an existing certificate.
Download form 202


Form 201a
This is the guidance notes for the application and variation process.
Download form 201a


Please view our Explosives page for information about application forms for explosives.


Bookmark and Share
Useful Links

External Websites:

Essex Police Uttlesford Braintree Colchester Tendring Maldon Rochford Southend Castle Point Thurrock Basildon Brentwood Epping Forest Harlow Chelmsford

Social media

Police station opening hours

Essex Community Messaging

Confidential anti-terrorist hotline 0800 789 321
Copyright & Privacy | Accessibility | A-Z | BrowseAloud Plus | Social media | Website Stats © Essex Police 2015