Essex Police
Sitemap | Social Media | Other languages
Non Emergency Enquiries 101

Your Questions

Can my partner or a member of my family transport my firearm or shot gun for me?

Not unless they hold either a certificate or permit in their own right for the firearms

What prohibits a person from possessing a firearm and / or explosives?

Anyone sentenced to imprisonment for three months or more is prohibited for a period of five years following their release. Anyone sentenced to three years or more is prohibited for life.

When applying for a certificate must I declare all convictions?

Yes, including traffic convictions and offences committed abroad

How do I notify Essex Police of a change of address?

Conditions on your certificate state you must notify us of a change of permanent address. To do this take a copy of the certificate and post the original to us with a short note stating your new telephone number and when the change will take effect. Alternatively, you can let us know by calling 101 and asking for Firearms Licensing Department or e-mailing

How old must I be to have a firearm?

Firearms law varies depending on your age. Please see our guidance on ages (PDF document, 33Kb)

How do I notify you if I buy, sell, lose or otherwise gain or dispose of a firearm or shotgun?
You must advise us within seven days in writing. You can do this by completing our 123 form. Although you are under no obligation to use this form it will ensure all necessary details are passed to the police. This form should also be sent to Essex Police by recorded delivery, registered post or by e-mail at to notify us of the destruction or disposal of a firearm.


Useful Links

do it online

Social media

Police station opening hours

Essex Community Messaging

Confidential anti-terrorist hotline 0800 789 321
Copyright & Privacy | Accessibility | A-Z | BrowseAloud Plus | Social media | Website Stats © Essex Police 2016