How to register
If you live in Essex and have been required to register with the police (an essential part of many Foreign Nationals’ visa conditions), please use our online system.
If you are using the online system for the first time, you will be required to create an account. Once you have set up an account and completed all details you will need to make an appointment, using our online calendars, to attend one of the locations listed below. At the appointment you will complete the registration process and receive your registration certificate.
This is important, because if you don't you may face:
- a £5,000 fine
- a prison sentence
- recommendation of deportation
- a ten year ban on entering the UK
We will give you your certificate at the end of the appointment once you have completed registration.
Booking an appointment
Please see below locations where you can book an appointment.
Basildon Police Station
Braintree Police Station
Essex Police Chelmsford
Grays Police Station
Harlow Police Station
Southend Police Station
Please check what to bring with you.
If you have any questions, please contact us.
Unsure if you need to register? Read our advice for first time visitors: who needs to register as a foreign national?
When your details change
If you change any of your personal or contact details whilst studying or working in Essex, you'll need to update your certificate with us as detailed above. If you already have an account on our online system, updates can be made by accessing your online account and completing the ‘update form’.
You must report any of the following changes within seven days:
- change of address
- change of college/university/course
- change of occupation
- change in marital status
- new landing conditions (re-entry visa)
- new passport details
- children once they are aged 16 or over
- exemption from Police Registration
When you transfer to Essex
If you're already registered with another force and you move to Essex, you now need to notify us. An online account will need to be created and the ’Transfer’ link ( not ‘New Registration’ ) should be selected. An appointment should then be made to complete the process.
If you lose your certificate
If you've lost your police registration certificate, you will need to complete the online form and make an appointment to complete the process.
Please note a lost, stolen or damaged replacement certificate will incur a fee of £34.
What to bring with you
Whether you’re visiting for the first time or registering a change in your circumstances, use the checklist below to make sure you bring all the relevant documents.
- Biometric Residence Permit (also known as BRP)
- letter from the Home Office (If BRP applied in the UK)
- proof of work or study and details (confirmation letter from university/CAS or employment contract)
- proof of address in the Essex area, for example a tenancy agreement or letter of confirmation from university (including room number)
- £34 in exact cash, if not already paid online (no payment needed for an update or transfer to Essex from another Force )
Please make sure you arrive ten minutes before your appointment time – if you're late, we won't be able to deal with your registration.