Licensing - Alcohol and Gaming
The Licensing Team manages applications for premises licenses, monitor compliance, co-ordinate enforcement activity and present cases for licence reviews on behalf of the police.
Information about firearms licensing is available in the Firearms Licensing section of the website.
How we can help you
The UK Government website Gov.uk provides further information about alcohol licensing and applying for a premises licence.
The Essex Police Licensing Team can provide advice and support to assist your premises license application. This may be advice on the installation of CCTV, the Proof of Age Scheme and the Pub Watch scheme.
Anybody wishing to contact the police regarding licensing activities can do so as follows:
By e-mail to [email protected] , or
By telephone on 101 (or 01245 452035 if you are outside Essex)
In writing to:
The Licensing Department (Alcohol)
You can report noise issues to your local council via our DoItOnline page
Alcohol and Gaming
Essex Police has a duty to promote the four statutory licensing objectives:
The department also has responsibility for supporting the licensing objectives under the Gambling Act 2005, which are:
- The prevention of crime and disorder;
- Public safety;
- The prevention of public nuisance; and
- The protection of children from harm.
More information about the Licensing Act 2003 and the Gambling Act 2005 together with guidance can be found at www.legislation.gov.uk.
- Preventing gambling from being a source of crime and disorder, being associated with crime or disorder or being used to support crime;
- Ensuring that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way; and
- Protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling.
Applications for premises licences are made via the local district council.