Christmas crime prevention tips
As Christmas approaches, we’re providing you with some personal safety and home security advice:
- Going Christmas shopping? Don’t leave valuables and gifts on display in your car.
- Secure your gates. Putting locks on all gates which access your garden will help make your property more secure.
- Register your items on Immobilise. It is FREE and lets you create a private and secure log of all your personal property. To find out more, visit: www.immobilise.com
- Don’t leave your car or van unlocked, unattended or with the engine running whilst you de-ice your car in the mornings. This is not secure and your car insurance will be invalid if it was stolen.
- Attending a Christmas party? Keep your drink safe and remember if you do drink alcohol, know your limits. For more information on personal safety, visit the Suzy Lamplugh Trust advice pages.
- Attending a Christmas party? Make sure you consider how you are getting home in advance. Don’t use unlicensed taxis. For more information on personal safety, visit the Suzy Lamplugh Trust advice pages.
- Don’t leave presents or valuables in view of a window.
- Your recycling and rubbish can tell thieves what new presents you have. Do not advertise to thieves. Fold your present packaging inside out or put them in other plain boxes.
- Treat your shed to an alarm. Ensure that all new and old presents stored in your outbuildings are locked away securely.
- If you’re out for the evening or Christmas shopping, keep your bags, phone and other valuables safe. Busy places make it easier for thieves. For more information, visit: www.essex.police.uk/advice
- Treat yourself to a TV simulator. It gives the impression you’re at home when you’re not.
For more information on how to secure your home this winter, visit www.essex.police.uk/secure