A man has been jailed after breaching an order banning him from Colchester town centre.
Thomas Roy was made subject of a two year criminal behaviour order on Wednesday 30 January because of his persistent anti-social behaviour.
It banned him from entering Colchester town centre except to attend pre-arranged medical, legal or other appointments for professional-related matters.
Roy, who is not homeless, was also banned from begging for money or other items in the town centre.
But he breached the order on Friday 1 February after begging for money in the town centre.
He was arrested and charged with breaching a criminal behaviour order and appeared at Colchester Magistrates’ Court the next day, where he was fined £80 and ordered to pay a £30 victim surcharge.
He breached the order another four times between February 4 and 7. On three of those occasions he was seen begging for money and on the fourth occasion he had entered the town centre with no pre-arranged appointment as laid out in the order.
He admitted four counts of breaching a community behaviour order at Colchester Magistrates’ Court today, Friday 8 February, and was jailed for eight weeks. He was also ordered to pay a £115 victim surcharge.
Sergeant Martin Willsher said: “Thomas Roy has shown a complete disregard for the criminal behaviour order that was imposed on him by the magistrates’ court.
“Just two days after it was issued, he was arrested and charged with breaching it, but then continued to breach it.
“A huge amount of work has been undertaken by my team and our partners to try and prevent him from committing further offences.
“The custodial sentence imposed today is a reminder to not only Roy but anyone else who is intent on committing crime in Colchester that we and our partners involved in the Colchester Town Centre Action Plan will use the full range of powers at our disposal to take robust action to safeguard the community.”
Cllr Mike Lilley, Colchester Borough Council’s portfolio holder for planning, public safety and licensing, said: “This case should serve as a lesson to anyone thinking of repeatedly flouting the law, that we are serious about curbing anti-social behaviour that can have a tremendously detrimental effect on the quality of life of residents and visitors to the town.
“Together with the police and other partners, we want to create a Better Colchester that promises a safer and crime-free town centre that people can enjoy. Results like this play a big part in helping us to achieve that ambition.”
A man who persistently breached a community protection notice with his anti-social behaviour has been made subject of a criminal behaviour order.
Thomas Roy was given the notice on September 7 last year, which banned him from behaving aggressively and shouting or swearing in public in Colchester town centre.
It banned him from being intoxicated through drink or drugs and being intimidating or insulting, or touching members of the public in the town centre.
Roy, who is not homeless, was also banned from begging for money or other items.
But he breached the notice several times between November and January by asking the public for money and was arrested on 22 January.
He was charged with seven counts of failing to comply with a community protection notice and was released on conditional bail to appear at Colchester Magistrates’ Court on 21 February.
But the 51-year-old, of Montgomery Close, Colchester, breached the bail conditions and was taken to court on Wednesday, 30 January.
He admitted six counts of failing to comply with a community protection notice. The seventh charge was withdrawn. He also admitted breaching his bail conditions.
Roy was made subject to a two year criminal behaviour order, which bans him from entering Colchester town centre except to attend pre-arranged medical, legal or other appointments for professional-related matters.
It also prevents him from begging for money or other items in Colchester town centre.
Sergeant Martin Willsher said: “His persistent anti-social behaviour was having a big impact on the quality of life for people visiting, living and working in the town centre.
“Roy also exploited the generosity of members of the public and claimed to be homeless, even though he wasn’t.
“Through the Safer Colchester Partnership, we work with agencies, charities and community groups, to support people who are in genuine need of help.
“But we will not tolerate anti-social behaviour or aggressive begging, as in Roy’s case.
“We are committed to making Colchester a safe and enjoyable place to live, work and socialise and this is at the core of the Town Centre Action Plan we are working in partnership with the council on.
“I hope that this court result will be a warning to anyone that intends on carrying out activities like this in the town centre that it will not be tolerated and expect to see members of Team Ten on a regular basis.”
Councillor Mike Lilley, Colchester Borough Council Portfolio Holder for Planning, Public Safety and Licensing, said: “I am pleased that our joint effort through the Town Centre Action Plan is bearing fruit and is helping to remove those blighting our town centre with antisocial behaviour from the area.
“Together with the police and other partners we want to create a Better Colchester through having a safer and crime-free town centre that people can enjoy and results like this play a big part in helping us achieve that ambition.”