Teenagers sentenced in connection with investigation into murder in Chelmsford
Update: Friday March 9, 2018
At Chelmsford Crown Court on March 9, the sentence for the 16-year-old boy was amended to a youth rehabilitation order consisting of 12-month community order and 40 hours of unpaid work. He has been excluded from Chelmsford for three months and made subject of a curfew.
Update: Friday March 2, 2018
Two teenagers arrested following the murder of a Chelmsford man have been sentenced.
John Pordage was shot in the chest following a confrontation outside the BP petrol station near the Army and Navy roundabout in Baddow Road, Chelmsford, in the early hours of August 5, 2017. The 34-year-old died in hospital a short time later.
A 16-year-old boy, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, and Saul Stanley, 18, of no fixed address, were arrested in connection with the investigation and stood trial at Chelmsford Crown Court on Monday, January 15.
Last month, a jury found the 16-year-old not guilty of murder or manslaughter. He admitted perverting the course of justice and handling stolen goods.
Stanley was found guilty of two counts of possession of a prohibited firearm, one count of possession of ammunition without a certificate and perverting the course of justice.
He was found not guilty of two further counts of possessing ammunition without a firearm certificate. He admitted handling stolen goods.
The younger boy was sentenced today, Friday March 2, to an eight month detention training order for perverting the course of justice and four months for handling stolen goods, to run concurrently.
Stanley was sentenced to five years in total for each of the firearms offences, 18 months for perverting the course of justice, six months for the ammunition offence and four months for handling stolen goods, all to run concurrently. His total sentence was five years.
Speaking after today’s court hearing, Mr Pordage’s mother, Sue Wilson, said:
“I am truly broken from the events of August 5, 2017 when my son’s life was tragically taken away when he was only 34-years-old.
“Since that day I have been constantly searching for reason or motive, which I cannot find.
“He was taken from me in the most senseless and cruel way.
“John had been smiling and talking when he was attacked and within a few minutes he was lying wounded on the floor.
“The two boys sentenced today thought nothing of disposing of evidence.
“My John was a beautiful happy baby who grew into a beautiful, fun, happy man, loved by so many.
“He had a big impact on people’s lives and had so many dreams and plans for his future; that is one of the heart-breaking things I find hard to bear.
“His death has dramatically affected not just me but my whole family. Our lives will never be the same again.
“My heart breaks for my beloved son John every single minute of the day, knowing that he has not been allowed to enjoy his life. I have lost my only son, my daughter has lost her only sibling and my grandson has lost his only uncle.
“My lovely son John deserved so much, had so much to give, so much life to live. I miss my son in my life and love him so very much. I will go through my days full of sorrow losing such a lovely special son, thinking what may have been.
“My son deserves justice. The community, his family, friends deserves justice.
“John died as a result of a cruel and senseless act and there will never be any justice for him until someone is found responsible for his death.”
John’s sister Teri Pordage said her brother’s death has had a lasting effect on her six-year-old son, Josef.
“It’s heart-breaking to see and feel his pain, as well as my own grief.
“When I found out the news about my brother my whole life fell apart.
“My life will truly never be the same. It’s not just John that was killed, part of me was too.
“My mother will never be the same and I will go on through life having to know that she will always be sad and hurting inside. I am her daughter but I am not her son, so I will never be able to replace the pain she has lost. I feel like I have lost my brother and my mum all in one.
“My brother was my everything; we were so close, there was such a bond between us. We spent many hours talking about travelling culture and Art.
“We pushed each other in life and always brought the positive side out in each other.
“We believed in good karma and treating people with kindness and support. From this he had such a good network of friends around him and would support and love them all. He really was known for the ‘smile that lit the room up.’
“John had so much going for him. He was a strong character who wore his heart on his sleeve and would give a shoulder or a hug to anybody who needed some support.
“I am so grateful for the last phone that John made to me and my son Josef on August 4 as we left for school and work that day. I will remember forever that our last words to each other were “I love you, See you at the weekend”.
John’s friend, Mark Jones, said: “I have known John for some 25 years, and I can say unequivocally that he was an absolute legend of a man.
“John was the sort of person who would give absolutely everything to help someone in their hour of need, he would sacrifice whatever he had going on to help the ones he loved and cared for.
“It is a testament to John that his love will endure for the rest of our lives.
“John was a gentleman and a gentle giant who has been taken from his loved ones at an age where he had so much life to still live.
“He is irreplaceable to everyone that knew him and adored beyond words.
“Not all heroes wear a cape.”
February 9, 2018
A teenager has been cleared of killing a man outside a Chelmsford petrol station.
John Pordage was shot in the chest following a confrontation outside the BP petrol station near the Army and Navy roundabout in Baddow Road, Chelmsford in the early hours of August 5 last year.
The 34-year-old died in hospital a short time later, despite the efforts of members of the public and emergency services.
A 16-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was arrested and charged with murder in connection with the incident.
Saul Stanley, 18, was arrested and charged with various firearms offences also in connection with the incident.
The pair stood trial at Chelmsford Crown Court on Monday January 15.
Today, Friday February 9, the jury found the 16-year-old was not guilty of murder or manslaughter.
Stanley was found guilty of two counts of possession of a prohibited firearm, one count of possession of ammunition without a certificate and perverting the course of justice. He was found not guilty of two further counts of possessing ammunition without a firearm certificate.
He admitted a charge of handling stolen goods, which was in connection with a stolen motorbike that had been collected from Brentwood in the hours before the murder.
The 16-year-old also admitted perverting the course of justice and handling stolen goods.
Following the verdicts and sentencing Senior Investigating Officer DCI Martin Pasmore of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate said: “A thorough investigation was carried out and the evidence put to the jury who have made their decision which of course we accept.
“My thoughts are very much with John’s family and friends at what is a very difficult time for them."
The pair have been remanded in custody and will return to the court on March 2 for sentence.