Created 13th October 2020. Amended 5th January 2021.
Specific Privacy Notice
Independent Advisory Group (IAG)
A group formed to help Essex Police to build insight into the needs, wants and assets of the communities who are underrepresented in normal decision-making processes. Essex Police will use this insight to shape their service for the benefit of all communities and engender trust and confidence.
This Specific Privacy Notice has been created to make it easier for you to understand what personal data Essex Police processes about you, how and why it will be used in connection with Independent Advisory Group (IAG). It is a requirement of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
The high-level Privacy Notice provides you with complete details of the rights you have relating to the personal data we hold about you now and any personal data we might collect about you in the future.
If you have no access to the internet and require access to the high-level Privacy Notice please contact Essex Police Data Protection Officer [email protected] and they will provide a copy to you. The team will also facilitate the provision of the Privacy Notice in Braille or other languages.
1. Who is the Controller (the person who determines the purpose and means by which your personal data is processed) and what are their contact details?
The Controller is:
Chief Constable of Essex Police Essex Police HQ PO Box 2 Chelmsford CM2 6DA
Article 13(1)(a) Article 14(1)(a)
2. What are the contact details of Essex Police’s Data Protection Officer?
Data Protection Officer Essex Police HQ, PO Box 2 Chelmsford CM2 6DA Email: [email protected]
Article 13(1)(b) Article 14(1)(b)
3. For what purpose(s) is my personal data intended to be processed by Essex Police?
To contact you in order to provide an invitation to Independent Advisory Group meetings and share other related information (i.e. information to support meeting – including PowerPoints on key topics or crime statistics).
4. What personal data of mine will be processed by Essex Police?
Essex Police will collect and process the following personal data:
Name and date of birth
Contact details (including home address and/or email address)
5. How will my personal data be processed by Essex Police?
Essex Police will process the personal data belonging to members of the Independent Advisory Group on a locally held database (spreadsheet) and managed by Community Safety and Engagement Officers. This database will be held on the Essex Police network, and recipients will be limited to:
Chair of Independent Advisory Group
Administrative Assistant for the Independent Advisory Group
6. What is Essex Police’s legal basis for processing my personal data?
Essex Police’s legal basis is GDPR Article 6(1)(a) - the data subject has given consent to the processing of his or her personal data for one or more specific purposes.
For the processing of the non-compulsory special category personal data Essex Police’s legal basis is GDPR Article 9(2)(a) the data subject has given explicit consent to the processing of those personal data for one or more specified purposes, except where Union or Member State law provide that the prohibition referred to in paragraph 1 may not be lifted by the data subject;
Article 13(1)(c) Article 14(1)(c)
7. If my personal data is obtained by Essex Police from someone else what are the categories of personal data collected?
8. Who will my personal data be disclosed to by Essex Police?
Chair of Independent Advisory Group (volunteer)
Administrative Assistant of Independent Advisory Group (volunteer)
9. Does Essex Police intend to transfer my personal data out of the U.K. or to an international organisation?
Article 13(1)(f) Article 14(1)(f)
10. If Essex Police intends to transfer my personal data out of the U.K. or to an international organisation what safeguards are there to protect my personal data?
Article 13(1)(f) Article 14(1)(f)
11. How long will my personal data be retained by Essex Police?
Your personal data will be retained for as long as you remain a (potential) member of the Independent Advisory Group. Any parental/guardian personal data collected, where the IAG member is aged under 18 years old, will also be processed based on consent. Please note, where a parent/guardian removes their consent for their personal data to be processed by for the purposes of their child’s IAG membership, the child will no longer be able to retain their membership (this is for reasons associated to health and safety). Consent to process your personal data for the purposes as outlined in the specific privacy notice may be removed at any time by contacting the Communities and Engagement Coordinator, Dawn Woollcott ([email protected]) - refer to section 13 for further details on removal of consent.
Article 13(2)(a) Article 14(2)(a)
12. What are my rights under the GDPR?
You have the following rights under the GDPR:
Right to be informed
Right of access
Right of erasure
Right to restriction of processing
Right to data portability
Right to object
Right not to be subject of automated decision-making
Full details of those rights and how to exercise them can be found in Essex Police’s high-level Privacy Notice which can be found on the home page of the Essex Police website. It can also be obtained from:
Information Rights Team Essex Police HQ PO Box 2 Chelmsford CM2 6DA Email: [email protected]
Article 13(2)(b) Article 14(2)(c)
13. If Essex Police relies on my consent to be the legal basis for processing my personal data can I withdraw that consent?
Yes, you may withdraw your consent at any time by contacting the Communities and Engagement Coordinator, Dawn Woollcott ([email protected]) or the Force DPO.
However, please note that that withdrawal does not affect the lawfulness of any processing of your personal data before its withdrawal (as not retrospective).
Article 13(2)(c) Article 14(2)(d)
14. Who can I lodge a complaint with if I am unhappy about the way my personal data is processed by Essex Police?
You may lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office. Their contact details are:
Information Commissioner’s Office Wycliffe House Water Lane Wilmslow Cheshire SK9 5AF Telephone: 0303 123 1113 Website: www.ico.org.uk
You may wish to initially raise any concerns with the Data Protection Officer.
Article 13(2)(d) Article 14(2)(e)
15. If my personal data was obtained by Essex Police from someone else from who or where was it obtained by Essex Police?
16. Am I required to provide my personal data under a statutory or contractual requirement, or a requirement necessary to enter into a contract, or am I obliged to provide it?
17. Will my personal data be used for automated decision-making, including profiling?
Article 13(2)(f) Article 14(2)(g)
18. If my personal data will used for automated decision-making, including profiling what logic will be involved and what significance and consequences will there be for me from the automated decision-making?