The Returner Scheme is designed to assist Essex Police in the return of Police Officers with valuable skills and experience who:
- would otherwise retire;
- have retired from the force in the last two years. Applications from officers retired in the last five years will be considered
The scheme allows a police officer to retire from the force but to then return as an attested officer after a short break of service, which must be a minimum of at least one calendar month.
Eligibility to apply
To be eligible to apply you must meet the following criteria:
- You must spend a minimum of one month and a maximum of two years in retirement.
- You must have 30 or more year’s pensionable service and hence be entitled to retire with maximum pension benefits (40/60ths) in order to be eligible for the Returner Scheme.
- You are in service but have reached 30 years’ pensionable service or are approaching the 30 years’ pensionable service.
Please note the following:
- retired officers will be posted to existing vacancies in line with normal workforce planning practices.
- applications will be considered in line with the normal rules regarding an Extension of Service beyond compulsory Retirement age for their respective rank.
- returning officers will be subject to pension auto-enrolment in line with the Pensions Act 2008, with the option to opt out.
Some conditions of service change following retirement and re-engagement on the Returner Scheme. Officers must carefully consider the Re-joiner Scheme guidance.
If you are interested in applying for the returner scheme or would like further details please contact our recruitment team at [email protected]. Please include in your email:
- Name, address, contact number
- Last role
- Your key skills
- Dates of service
Please advise us if you have a preferred role or location you wish us to consider