Benefits, lifestyle and support
Joining our team comes with lots of benefits and support.
The information below provides details of the range of support we offer to all employees as well as the national and local discounts you are able to enjoy.
Starting salary range is: £23,908 - £24,780 plus £2,000 South East allowance.
After two years (DHEP) or three years (PCDA) service you can apply to be promoted to police sergeant, which has a starting salary of £41,499 (plus the south east allowance).
After two years (DHEP) or three years (PCDA) service you can also apply for any available specialist roles. These PC roles could be in teams such as firearms, our dog unit or you could even train to become a detective.
We have over 100 roles available at police constable rank alone so there is certainly plenty of choice.
As a full-time police constable you will have 22 days paid annual holiday, rising to 30 days a year depending on your length of service.
This is on top of public holidays and an average of two rest days each week.
You can also expect other forms of leave, including maternity, paternity and adoption leave, special leave (with or without pay), parental leave and career breaks of up to five years.
When you start as a new Police Constable you’ll receive automatic membership of the police pension scheme. This isn't compulsory, so you can choose to opt out if you want to.
We pride ourselves on our ongoing skills and development programmes. We will provide you with;
- ongoing training through courses, mentoring and coaching
- promotion and development opportunities into different police specialisms (after two years of service)
- a focus on your continued professional development through a structured performance development review
- a Diploma in Policing Level 3 (when probation is complete)
- a well established health and wellbeing function to help you develop and receive the support you need
We believe our workforce is our greatest asset and we're proud to be a caring employer.
We've worked hard to be recognised as a disability confident employer and to also provide a large range of support initiatives to help with you (and your family's) health and welfare.
- support for those with caring responsibilities (flexible working)
- occupational health and welfare counselling
- on-site gym facilities at a number of our stations
- cycle-to-work scheme
- free eye-sight tests (and a range of frames)
- a subsidised convalescence home
- development and mentoring schemes including leadership pathways
- membership of the Police Federation
- staff support groups to support and represent your needs, beliefs and value.
As an Essex Police Constable you will be able to join the Essex Police Sports Association (EPSA) via which you can enjoy a multitude of discounts and special offers from many high street stores, national attractions and travel suppliers. These offers include cinema tickets, restaurants and even reduced prices on several car brands.
Through Payroll you will be able to access Childcare Vouchers, our Cycle 2 Work scheme and other salary sacrifice schemes.
EPSA also provides access to approved companies who offer our members financial advice, preferential insurance rates and discounted legal services.
As a Police Constable with Essex Police, you will get access to a number of subsidised leisure and sporting activities. There is a wide range of sports and sports associations to enjoy whilst making new friends and increasing your fitness.
Many police stations have gym facilities and you’ll benefit from ongoing training and development opportunities.
As well as our annual Croker Cup sports competition, we are affiliated to Police Sport UK who regularly run national and international police tournaments.